Friday, August 15, 2008

Gracie's 8th birthday post (late from July 28th)

I never did an official birthday post for Gracie. Since this blog is mainly for the purpose of recording our lives for my children to have one day, I think I need to do that so she won't wonder why I never wrote one.

Dear Gracie,

You are a precious little girl who amazes us often! You sometimes seem wise beyond your years but still have an innocence to you that I cherish. God knew what He was doing when He created you to be our firstborn. I am in wonder at what a wonderful 'biggest sister' you are to Ellie. Sometimes I'm not sure how I would have survived the last 7 weeks without you to help me. I love the way Ellie stares up at you when you talk to her. She seems to already know that you're someone special. I love to watch you sing to her, talk to her, and help to calm her when she's fussy.

Although you spend your fair amount of time 'fighting' with Katie, you are also a great big sister to her, too! I love to watch the 2 of you play together and to see you help her do things like pouring milk for her and holding her hand when my hands are tied up with carrying Ellie. I know you watch out for her, and I know you'll continue to do so. I love thinking that you're going to be someone they can look up to as they grow. You will be such a good example to them, and I just know that they'll come to you for advice throughout the years.


Thank you for being so mindful of the rules we give you. You try so hard to follow the rules and to do the right thing, and we appreciate it! The rules are there for a reason-usually to keep you safe-and we appreciate that we can trust you-most of the time-to do what we ask you to do. I love to see you reading your Bible and it makes me so proud that you're so self motivated to learn your memory verse for Sunday School and to do your work for school. You have mentioned that you don't understand some of the things you're learning in Bible class, but I think you understand more than you think you do. I hope you will feel comfortable asking us questions when you're confused so we can help you. You're getting older so you will start having 'deeper' discussions & lessons in Bible class, and we are so proud of you for wanting to understand. Be confident in yourself and know that it's okay to ask questions and to say, "I don't get it."

Things you are into right now: watching shows such as "Suite Life of Zack & Cody" on Disney Channel. You also love watching 'Science' type shows with Daddy, "High School Musical: Get in the Picture," 'Animal Planet' shows, & "Funniest Home Videos." You love the song, "You're Gonna Miss This" by Trace Adkins and "Cinderella" by Steven Curtis Chapman. I catch you humming or singing often-lots of time a church song. During church you like to fill out the sermon outline. I know you don't understand everything "Mr. David" is saying, but I figure something will sink in from time to time at least. You love to read and will devour a chapter book in a matter of an hour or two sometimes, if even that-and comprehend what you read. It amazes me! You like to draw and to do crafts. You are working hard at learning to swim and have become much more brave about it which has made us proud. You learned how to ride your bike this last year and have been doing great! You love horses and you like dolphins. Your American Girl doll and accessories are prized toys. The other day you took a purse with you when we went out and had it stocked with things you might need-including a band aid! Subway is one of your favorite restaurants to go to where you will order a ham & cheese sub with only ham, cheese, tomatoes & cucumbers-no mayo or anything like that. Your favorite meal is fettuccine alfredo, and you also love broccoli. If we go to a restaurant with bread that comes before a meal you will eat until we make you stop, but you are still one of the smallest 8 year olds around! You won't let us put butter on the bread though, although you did like butter on the tortillas at Alamo Cafe. You will choose water over any other drink pretty much all the time.


You are a bit of a goofball right now which I think comes with your age. You have this funny little face that we have to keep reminding you to stop making because it looks so silly. You still don't care too much what you wear which is good & bad. You may not care what you wear, but you sure do care about what I put in your hair. You do not like hair bows anymore, and I'm lucky if I can even get you to wear a barrette or headband anymore. You've started to get a 'big girl' attitude from time to time, complete with eye rolling & tone of voice! Sometimes you act a little 'out of it' which is frustrating because you are so smart! I say that's like your daddy! :-)


Your best girlfriend is Leigh Ann who we left behind in Aiken. The two of you have been keeping up with each other through the occasional phone call and a journal that you both write in and mail back & forth to each other. Your plan is for the 2 of you to be roommates in college. You have made a good girlfriend here in Houston and are working on others too. You love church activities and are getting to hang out with the older kids a lot, but you still will play with the younger ones too although I can tell you tend to desire not as much time with the younger ones anymore. There are lots of boys around here, and you definitely have a different attitude around them than you used to have...more giggling & blushing-much to our sadness! :-) You are about to start 3rd grade which is so hard to believe! I know you'll do great because you are one of those people who was 'made to go to school.' You love it and do well and respect the rules. I know in your Bible class you have been talking about sharing Jesus with others and I pray that you'll continue to learn how to do that and to be bold in your faith. You can shine your light wherever you go!

These past few months have been so full of changes, and you have endured them all so well! I know it was hard to leave Aiken. You have cried tears over the move and that's okay. You took the transition from your Aiken school to your Houston school so well-it hardly phased you at all! You will be at a new school again this year, and I hope it will be the one you'll stay at for the rest of elementary school. It made the move easier for us knowing that you were doing so well. You're such a trooper!

We are blessed beyond belief that God chose us to be your parents and we love you and we are sooooo proud of you! Thank you for being such an incredible daughter! I pray that we are raising you in such a way that pleases God.

Love,
Mommy & Daddy

2 comments:

Krista said...

Gracie's growing up into such a wonderful young woman! BTW, my niece and one of my best friend's little girls would LOVE Gracie's horse pj's! Cute! Okay, the five of us just got back from a wonderful walk . . . the weather is SO nice today . . . in the 80's! Whoo-hoo!!

Colter & Elizabeth Lewis said...

Send pics of the new house! Congrats.....Katy is such a nice place. Tell Cindy that I never got her password to her blog. She said she was sending it, but it never made it to me.
Thanks!
LizabethL@comcast.net