Sunday, September 09, 2007

A heavenly anniversary trip!

Chris & I got back yesterday from a late anniversary trip and it was wonderful! We went to Daufuskie Island Resort & Breathe Spa. If you want to go somewhere that is beautiful, quiet, relaxing, full of good service and not crowded then this is the place to go. As corny as it may sound, there were times that I almost felt we were the only 2 people in the world! These 2 pictures show the back of the inn.This is the front of the inn.
This is the view from the back porch of the inn.

We left Thursday morning soon after we took Gracie to school and went downtown here in town to a cute little place to get some breakfast. We then headed towards Hilton Head which is about 3 hours away. We stopped at the outlet stores which are located right at Hilton Head-well maybe right before you go over the bridge-I can't really remember but they're basically in Hilton Head. We had a little snack while there then headed further into Hilton Head. We did a little looking around then went to eat a late lunch/early dinner at Truffles, a cafe one of my friends just loves and is always talking about. We ended up being really lucky and getting there about 15 minutes before they stopped serving off the lunch menu (3:45) which saved us about $15! (I'm always excited to save a little money!) I'm a huge lover of salmon so that's what I got and it was DELICIOUS! Yummmm......sooo good!

We originally were scheduled to leave on our ferry at 8:30 that evening but Chris had changed it to 7:00 (it leaves every hour & a half). However, when we were done with our dinner so early, he called and was able to change it to even earlier at 5:30 so we headed over to catch it. We got all checked in and settled in for the 45 minute ride. When we docked, there was a bus waiting to take us to the resort. A funny thing is that there were these other people we'd seen on the ferry who got on the bus with us. A couple of them were VERY obnoxious. Well, we sat down on the bus-it was just us & the 6 of them-and the lady looked over and said, "Oh! Are you from (name of our town)?!" Chris had a note attached to a magazine that someone had let him borrow that was letterhead from our church. She saw the name and asked because they were all actually from the same town too! That was kinda weird!

We got to the resort and checked in and went to our room which was huge and really pretty with a beautiful view of the back lawn & ocean. They brought us our luggage (they brought it over for us from the ferry) and then we went exploring a little around the resort. We had one of the desk clerks drive us-in the golf cart-over to the "beach club" to see what all was there. It has a restaurant along with a pool, fitness club and beach access set up with chairs. Along the 1 mile or so drive are cottages that you can rent-which are very cute-and a little general store where you can buy a few groceries & such. We sat out on the beach for awhile where it was actually perfect weather with a great breeze that felt so nice! We walked back to the inn and stopped at their lounge for a little snack since we'd eaten such an early dinner.
We ended up going out to the beach that evening and it was so pretty looking up at the stars and listening to the waves. There were no lights right there on the beach other than the moon & stars. That was definitely one of the times when we felt like we were the only 2 people there. Very romantic I must say!

The next morning (Friday) we were able to sleep late then got up & ate breakfast at the buffet served there at the inn. It was good but so expensive! We didn't want to ask how much it was so we just went. Serves us right I guess. We bought some things at the general store for the next morning's breakfast! After breakfast we rented one of the many golf carts available for guests' use and explored a little. This is how all the guests get around most of the resort-golf carts or bicycles or walking. We saw very few actual vehicles and they were all service vehicles for the resort or spa-or construction vehicles as there was some construction going on.

We rode in the cart for about 20 minutes on some paved roads and also through the woods to get to the spa. We got lost once because some of the construction caused one of the spa signs to be down but we eventually found it. We were early so we sat out by the pool for awhile until it was time for our spa treatment. Let me tell you, Chris almost backed out of getting his treatment-he was really nervous & uncomfortable. When it was over, he wanted to stay for another one! We both got the "Sea Salt Glow." Here is what the literature says about it: Sea Salt Glow -
Excellent for sensitive skin, this gentle exfoliation process nourishes sun-exposed or dehydrated skin. Sea salt blended with cleansing gel is applied to the body using circular motions to exfoliate and refine the skin surface. Both salt and stress are washed away with our unique Vichy shower, leaving the body feeling energized and revived. (25 Minutes)

It was sooooooo awesome! The only complaint I have about it is that is didn't last long enough. It was just absolutely incredible! *sigh*Please note that this is NOT me (not that you would think it is!) I got this picture off of a website but it shows how the vichy shower is done. This is another picture of the vichy shower that I got off of the website. This is a picture of part of the women's locker room. It was all so nice! When I was done, I took a shower, washed my hair and dried it-they had everything provided that you could need!
There were some BEAUTIFUL homes near the spa!

After we enjoyed that, we went to the beach club and ate lunch after checking out what the general store had to offer. We then went back to the inn for Chris to get on his bathing suit. Then we went back to the beach club and sat out on the beach for awhile then sat by the pool. Hard day, huh?!!? After doing that for awhile, we went back to the inn where Chris took a nap and I read out on one of the inn's beautiful porches. We then set about getting ready for dinner at a really nice place across from the inn.

Chris had made reservations at Jack's Place (named for Jack Nicklaus) and it was such a nice dinner! I had shrimp scampi on a bed of angel hair pasta while Chris chose the filet. We also each had a Caesar salad and shared a large piece of Chocolate Mousse Cake-yum! It was very romantic and the food was delicious! The service staff at the restaurants are almost all from Jamaica and were so great! They gave excellent service and I love their accents! On one of the guy's nametags, it even had his name and underneath it, it said, 'Jamaica.' One of the desk clerks said she was from Jamaica and that she was only here for 18 months so I don't know if it's some sort of exchange program or what, but they sure did an excellent job of helping us have a great time!

After we ate way too much, we went back to the inn where I fell asleep around 10! Chris laughed at me for that! The next morning (Saturday) we got up and packed so they could pick up our bags for the ferry. Once they did that, we took one last walk on the back lawn of the inn to look at the ocean. We then sat on the front porch and waited for the shuttle to take us to the ferry. I was a little sad to leave, but I knew I had good memories of our time there and I was looking forward to seeing our girls! It's funny how my heart can be in 2 places at once. It was like that when we were in San Diego too-I was having a great time but really missed my girls too!

We got to the ferry and arrived back in Hilton Head where we went to the "Sea Shack" for lunch. It was one of those local places where on the wall it says, "Not fancy, just good." It was good! I got fried shrimp with fries & cole slaw-can't really go wrong with that! We then hit a couple of gift shops looking for a little something to take back home to the girls. We chose a t-shirt for each of them. Katie's is really cute. It is orange with an alligator on it and it says, "Can I have you over for a snack?" and then says "Hilton Head" on it too. It is a fun shirt and seems to fit her personality! Gracie's is more subdued. It is light pink with turtles and I think it says, "Swimming with friends" and "Hilton Head." She has commented more than once how much she likes it so I think we made good choices!

We endured the trip home although we were both really sleepy and reluctant to get back to the real world! It was fun to see the girls running to me though! Mom left soon after we got there to begin her drive home to Atlanta. We're blessed that she was able to come watch them for us.
Thanks Chris for planning such an incredible weekend! I'm blessed to have been your wife for the last 13+ years!

So begins another week. We have 2 soccer games this week, a PTA Board meeting and helping Gracie work on a Social Studies project. I am actually enjoying helping her with this and will probably post about it later when she's finished.
I hope everyone has a great week!


Jenna said...

Oh, I am soooo jealous!! That sounds absolutely wonderful!!

I love Krista - I have known her a very long time but I have not talked to her in forever. I hope she starts a blog!! Let me know if she does. I have known Brett even longer. I would love to see them again.

Jenna said...

I am a night owl - that is when I work (with blogging breaks, of course!) I did not know that they had a baby girl. How fun for them! That makes 2 boys and a girl, right? I have known Brett since I was a child. He is a cousin of a guy I have known since birth. I met Krista at Camp Blue Haven when we were campers. I don't think she ever even met Brett until they were both counselors at Blue Haven. It really is a small world. Tell her I said congratulations!

jettybetty said...

Sounds like you all had a GREAT trip! I hope you get at least one of those a year for the next 50 years!
I think once you are a mom--your heart is always at least 2 places ;-)!

MB said...

You and Chris deserve such a good trip! I am so glad that yall had a wonderful time!mi