Saturday, March 08, 2008

We're going west!


My emotions are so all over the place right now it's not even funny! Seriously, one minute I'm excited about this adventure then I start thinking, "what in the world are we doing?!?" I find myself praying a lot! A little piece of my heart will always be here-that's for sure! Chris's heart was touched tonight when the precious 5 year old little girl of some of our bestest friends looked at him and said, "I don't want y'all to move." That got to him!
There are many things that will make this a hard move, but it also feels right in a lot of ways. Texas, although not specifically Houston, is where Chris & I met and first lived as a married couple. I never really expected to move out of the Southwest, but we did. Living in SC has been fantastic for so many reasons, but moving back to TX really feels right for more than one reason. That doesn't make it not hurt to make this move though because my heart is tied to many people & many experiences here. My children have roots here so this will be hard on them-Gracie more so than Katie of course. If not for wanting to savor these times with friends and wanting to savor this last pregnancy, I'd like to push a "fast forward" button for a few months to where we'll be settled in our new home.
This new home will be almost exactly half way between our parents. I mean, when someone from New Mexico marries someone from Georgia, it makes for interesting issues. We'd either have to live near one set but really far from the other (which we've done before on both sides) or far from both. This will put us about in the middle-a day's drive from either. A long day's drive, but a day's drive nonetheless.
We have soooooooo much ahead of us to do, including putting a house on the market and praying for it to sell, finding a place to rent in Houston, finding a new school for Gracie for about a month and a half (yikes!), finding a new doctor to finish the pregnancy, etc., etc., etc. Thankfully, the company will pack and move us so I won't find myself packing boxes, but there will still be plenty to do.
There are so many friends here we will miss. More on that later I'm sure-I don't need to get started on that tonight; I'm too tired! I am so thankful for email, unlimited long distance, lots of cell phone minutes, and text messaging! We are going to miss our church family and I've already begun praying about finding our new one. I am also so thankful for the bond Christians have, no matter the geographical location. I think having faith in that bond will get me through lots of uncertain moments during this move.
*sigh* Part of me just wants to cry while I'm also anxious to see where God will take on this adventure. He has a plan for us and I've been praying that He will lead us & direct us. Hopefully we're following Him as He wants us to. I feel like I have to explain ourselves to some who don't seem to understand why in the world we'd move. I'm not sure what to say. The opportunity arose and career wise for Chris-it's a great move. For a lot of reasons, it seems to be a great move. We've made a decision that we feel is good for our family-and not solely based on the career issue although that is part of it. Too bad our hearts get so connected to people because that's the part that hurts. Of course, it's not actually "too bad" that our hearts get so connected to people. How much sadder would we all be if we didn't make these types of connections?!? The relationships we form with our friends are a large part of the happiness we have in our lives, and I'm so thankful that God gives us friends.
Anyway, now the practical part-if any of my blog friends have recommendations for the "best" church in Houston to go to, the "best" Houston suburb to live in, the "best" school district to attend, yada-yada-yada-please leave a comment! We know this move is going to be a huge change. We're going from a "smallish" town to the 4th largest city in the U.S., so we'll appreciate any suggestions that could help us narrow down our search.
And-please keep us in your prayers for all the things we have to do between now and whenever we leave (probably sometime in April) and also for all we will have to do once we get there. It's a huge move but one we feel God wants us to make. He has a plan, and we look forward to serving him in a new state! God is full of surprises and the timing of this move is certainly a little surprising (have I mentioned I'm pregnant?!!? LOL) but we're trusting Him to be with us.

16 comments:

Rhonda Pickett said...

Jacinda,

Hi this is a blast from the past. It's Rhonda (Boudra) Pickett and well I occasionally read your blog and others from my ACU days...I hope you don't mind...I never leave comments :). Well you asked for comments about Houston, TX and this is a city that I hold near and dear to my heart. You probably don't remember but I am from Houston and my family still lives there. It is my understanding that there are alot of ACU alumni that go to the West Houston Church of Chris and live on the west side outside of the loop in Houston (this means outside the 610 loop that circles the downtown Houston area). Also if you want to move down south and out in "smaller towns/suburbs" Pearland/Alvin, TX is rapidly growing with young families. I am not sure where these locations will be in relation to Chris' office and the commute but that is probably going to happen no matter where you all move :). My family attends the Southeast Church of Christ along with Shellie (Fridge) Allen from ACU and the local schools for this area are in the Pasadena Independent School District, both my parents are high school teachers at PISD. I know this is alot of info but you can reach me at rhonda.pickett@fnis.com if you have any detailed questions. Obviously I love Houston but just like any large metro area there are suburbs and surrounding communities so that it does not seem so large and overwhelming. I will say that due to the degree of importance that you place on education you probably couldn't be moving to a better state where public education is concerned. Good luck and based on your announcement this sounds like it will be a positive for the Shanks family. Again, please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions during the next couple of weeks.

Take Care,
Rhonda

Leeser said...

Hi-
I got to your blog through Stephanie's. I grew up in Houston, and have to recommend Katy as a good place to live and a great school district- my mom has taught there for many years. It's on the far west side, though. What part of town will your husband's job be in? It's a biiiig city, and you don't want to commute too far in the traffic. North- The Woodlands is nice... It just depends on which side of town you're going to. Good luck!

Leeser said...

Hi-
I got to your blog through Stephanie's. I grew up in Houston, and have to recommend Katy as a good place to live and a great school district- my mom has taught there for many years. It's on the far west side, though. What part of town will your husband's job be in? It's a biiiig city, and you don't want to commute too far in the traffic. North- The Woodlands is nice... It just depends on which side of town you're going to. Good luck!

MB said...

you just had to make me cry first thing this morning! J/K! i will miss yall but i am excited for you. love you babe!

BrenOaks said...

Sad it's not the Dallas area, but Houston isn't too far! Valerie still lives south of Houston and I'm sure she will be SOOOO excited!! Do you guys keep in touch?

elizabeth said...

Houston is near to my in laws. They live in Conroe which is a little north of Houston. I also love The Woodlands which is also north of Houston. Great shopping and a pretty area. We will have to meet sometime when we are in the area!

elizabeth said...

A great church in Houston is Bammel Road. Here is the link: http://www.bammel.org/

I have heard great things about this church!

~k said...

Hi Jacinda,
Congratulations! We moved from Louisiana back to Georgia when our daughter was 6 and son was 2, so I can relate to moving with little ones! I had to remind myself that Bryson was leaving the only home she really remembered. She did just fine, although she still talks about her friends in LA.
The only congregation I know of in Houston is in the Channelview area. They supported our congregation in LA for a time while we were there. Their website is http://www.channelviewchurchofchrist.com/
There is also a CofC Christian school in Houston... http://www.westburychristian.org/ Not sure how it compares to GAC, but it's a thought!
Blessings to you as you prepare to move!
Karen

Lara said...

Jacinda,
We moved to Houston from Nashville 4 1/2 years ago. I was 34 weeks pregnant and did't know one person in this huge city. Email me and I can give you lots of specifics for housing, church and an obgyn. I am looking forward to hearing from you. :)
Lara ( Reeves) Bills
LaraBills@entouch.net

Amy S. Grant said...

Wow. Blessings on your move, Jacinda. I hope all the details flow smoothly and you get settled in your new home soon!

We have had to move a few times as a family, and I could relate to the emotions you expressed in your post.

Jenna said...

Good luck with your move. I don't have any Houston advice, but I know that it will all work out. It sounds like it is a move blessed by God.

TMK said...

where is Chris's job? Houston is a traffic nightmare, so if you could live close to his work, it would be great for him. Amy Fortenberry (ACU alumni) grew up there and still lives and teaches there. She goes to West Houston CofC. If you could give me an area where you are looking, she can give recommendations on schools and churches. I grew up in Kingwood which is north of Houston. Kinda far from downtown though. Let me know and I'll call Amy for ya!

Erica said...

I cannot believe you are moving! How did I miss this announcement for so many days? Well I went to school in Katy for 6th-8th grades and went to Memorial Parkway Junior High. I loved school in Katy, all the teachers were wonderful! Also we went to Katy Church of Christ in old Katy area but I have not been back in years. I also have a friend who grew up in the Woodlands...it is very nice too. Good luck on all the many opportunities coming your way. Maybe I will get to see you at ACU sometime:) You will definitely be in our prayers through your transition.

Erica said...

I cannot believe you are moving! How did I miss this announcement for so many days? Well I went to school in Katy for 6th-8th grades and went to Memorial Parkway Junior High. I loved school in Katy, all the teachers were wonderful! Also we went to Katy Church of Christ in old Katy area but I have not been back in years. I also have a friend who grew up in the Woodlands...it is very nice too. Good luck on all the many opportunities coming your way. Maybe I will get to see you at ACU sometime:) You will definitely be in our prayers through your transition.

Malia said...

Sitting here catching up on my bloggy friends and see that your moving! Wow! I know nothing about Houston so I have no advice but I'll say Congratulations to Chris and Godspeed to you and your family.

And see, this is the wonderful thing about blogging, it's so easily portable! ;)

SG said...

Email where Chris is going to work and I will ask my many Houston connections what they think. WOW! I can't believe you are moving!!! God bless and WELCOME BACK TO TEXAS!