I have a ton of cookbooks and I subscribe to a wonderful magazine called Quick Cooking. Lately though, when I have limited ingredients, I've been getting online and just "googling" certain ingredients that I have on hand. I've come across some really good recipes.
Today, I've been kind of searching for chocolate pies or apple spice cakes mainly. There are some interesting recipes out there. Ever heard of some of these?
- Sausage Cake It says this one is good served with sausage ice cream?!?!?!
- Sauerkraut Apple Cake
- Prune Mocha Cake
- Kitty Litter Cake This one has a picture!
- Chop Suey Cake
- Mimi's Tomato Soup Cake
These recipes certainly didn't make it far enough to be printed out for a further look. They just don't appeal to me. Maybe they're really good, but I don't think I'm going to try them. I also don't get some of the ingredients that are in these recipes. I consider myself a pretty good cook, but some things I'm not very familar with. Some of them include the following:
- cake flour What's the difference between this and regular all-purpose flour?
- sour milk Why would I want to use sour milk in a recipe?
- bleached all-purpose flour Again, I ask, what is the difference b/w this & my normal all-purpose flour?
Another thing I don't understand is when it calls for mixing 2 different sets of ingredients into another. It will sometimes say, "Begin and end with......." Why does it matter if I begin & end with the buttermilk or whatever it is? Does that really make a difference?
If anyone can enlighten me on these things, I'd appreciate it. Also, if anyone has tried any of the horrible sounding recipes above, let me know if I truly need to broaden my horizon and try them myself. I don't think I do, but let me know!